Happy Fall, Y'all! Says the former New England girl from Atlanta

The first of the fall weather has finally arrived in Georgia and I must say I am beyond ready for sweaters and fires and comfort food!  So long to a rough summer, hello to a better year and a better self. I really loathe the hot summer days here!

We took off to the north Georgia mountains yesterday.  There is a little town up there called Helen that has been fabricated to look like an Alpine village.  I say "fabricated" because, upon Googling the history of the town, we found that in the 1960's they decided to make all the houses and stores look like an Alpine village to draw tourists.  The town was originally a logging town and prior to revamping it for tourism, it was doomed for desertion.  It's quaint, even if a lot of the stores are full of crap and the only thing drawing the majority of visitors is the Oktoberfest celebration and lots and lots and lots of beer, rednecks, bikers and lederhosen. 

This was all perfect timing for my little fall lunch.  Actually, I made this Sunday morning and then that made me decide that we should eat it up in the mountains.  So, we took off on our excursion, fall lunches in hand, sweaters on our backs.


This lunch is so cute, I almost didn't want the girls to eat it.  I used acorn cookie cutters for the turkey and cheese sandwiches, fall sprinkles on top of the yogurt, Snap Pea Crisps, dried apricots and some Triple Ginger Snap Cookies from Trader Joes. The little leaves are from Michaels craft store and are not really for lunches, but rather for scattering on your table, Martha Stewart style.  Since I'm no Martha, I put them on the acorn sammies. 

With the smallest drop in temperature, of course we ended up in a Christmas shop in Helen.  Santa is already following me...making me wish I had a tree in my family room and some hot chocolate in my favorite mug.  We snapped an awesome 70s looking picture of the girls and one picture of ourselves that makes us look really old.  What a great start to our favorite season!

4 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...