feeling a little vegetarian

 

  BentoForKidlet has a new "Meatless Monday" recurring link party going on over here:

BentoForKidlet

When I saw that she was doing the link up, I finally decided that I would be making a hearty vegetarian meal for the family tonight. When I told my husband my plans of making a meatless dish for dinner...he actually asked if we could put ground turkey in it. WHAT?! No. It's not called "meatless but turkey isn't really meat Monday" is it? Poor guy thinks he will go hungry nibbling on vegetables like a cute little fluffy bunny. Not with this meal, that's for sure.


The recipe comes from Novice Chef Blog  and I found it, where else but Pinterest? I had to modify it a bit to suit my needs, which aren't really needs at all, but things I thought I had, which I didn't, so I had to scurry about to find something that would work instead. Like tortillas. Where on Earth did all those stinking tortillas go? I had two big packs of them in the fridge...gone. Poof. Thank goodness I had some Flat Out Wraps in the freezer. They actually worked quite well. They're bigger than tortillas so they held together nicely and tasted great. I've never made my own enchilada sauce, either...and of course, it was fantastic and way better than the canned. Don't you just hate when people have to point that out (like I just did)? It's like we all know, fresh is better than canned, the book is better than the movie...blah blah blah.

I'm in love with all the pretty vegetables


Roll 'em up


Everything is better with cheese...and bacon, but it's meatless Monday...darn.


Yum...even the hubs had to tell me about twelve times how much he liked it. I think he was surprised that a completely vegetarian meal could fill him up and taste soooooo freaking good.


Copied from the Novice Chef Blog:

Vegetable Enchiladas
ingredients:
4 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs ground cumin, divided
1 tsp adobo, divided
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/4 c all purpose flour
1/4 c tomato paste
3 cups vegetable broth
Salt and pepper
1 large onion, chopped
1 10 oz bag fresh spinach leaves
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14.5 oz) corn kernels, drained
3 c grated pepper Jack cheese (12 oz)
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped (plus extra for garnish)
16 corn tortillas (6-inch)

directions:
In a medium saucepan, heat 2 Tbs of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add 2 tsp of the cumin, 1/2 tsp adobo, garlic powder, white pepper, coriander, flour, and tomato paste. Cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Whisk in the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 5-8 minutes. Set aside.

In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 Tbs of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until softened. Add spinach and saute until wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Stir in the black beans, corn kernels, cilantro remaining 1 tsp of cumin, 1/2 tsp adobo and 1 ½ c of the cheese.

Preheat oven to 375⁰F. Lightly spray 9x13 baking dish. Set aside. Pour 3/4 cup sauce in the bottom of the baking dish and spread evenly. Spoon about 1/3 c of the enchilada filling into each tortilla and roll up. Place in the baking dish, seam side down. Pack the filled tortillas tightly in the baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over them, making sure to cover the entire surface. Sprinkle remaining cheese evenly over the enchiladas. Bake uncovered until hot and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro, and serve.

Adapted from Martha Stewart

13 comments:

  1. This looks yummy, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for participating in Blogging Wednesday! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! I'm glad it managed to fill up the husband! :D thanks for linking up to Meatless Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it! I've been feeling a little vegetarian too! One of these days we have to collaborate :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this meat-less idea! I'm always looking for creative ideas for my son that don't include meat. Thank you, and love your wittiness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks very healthy and yummy!Thanks for sharing! Have a great Blogging Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...