feeling a little soupy {cheeseburger chowder recipe}


A few years ago, a woman I worked with brought some of her leftover soup in to work and ate it for lunch. It smelled so fantastic I had to get the recipe. She says it won a state fair contest somewhere but I had been unable to locate the recipe online anywhere. She gave me a photo copy of the recipe.  I did a little sleuthing last night and found it on the Food Network site.  To see that recipe, click HERE
You really can't go wrong with this recipe!  It freezes well, and is a family favorite in our house. 

Cheeseburger Chowder

You may want to cut in half...it makes a lot of soup. 

1 ½ lbs ground beef (I use half beef and half turkey)
3/4 cup chopped onion
4 tbsp butter, divided
2 cloves garlic minced
1 cup diced carrots
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried parsley
3-4 cups chicken broth
4 cups peeled diced or shredded potatoes
1/4 cup flour
2 small cans evaporated milk
2 cups cubed or shredded cheese
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup sour cream (I used 1/2 cup)
Garnish: chopped dill pickle & chopped tomatoes (the pickle really makes it!)

Brown the ground beef, drain & set aside. 
sauté onion & 1 tbsp butter until tender. Add garlic, carrots, basil and parsley. Saute about 3 minutes. Add broth, beef & potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat & cover, simmer for 15-20 minutes or until carrots and potatoes are tender. Meanwhile, melt 3 tbsp butter in a small skillet. Add flour & cook,
stirring for 3-5 minutes. Gradually add evaporated milk, stirring constantly for 6-8
minutes. (It thickens quite a bit). Gradually stir the sauce into the soup, bring to a boil &
cook for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add cheese, salt & pepper. Continue to stir until
cheese melts. Remove from heat and blend in sour cream. Add garnish.

Using my Cuisinart food processor, I shredded the potatoes and carrots, but dicing them works as well. I was just being ultra lazy today and wanted to play with the machine a little. I've had it for a couple of years and have just started to realize how useful it is.





I like to use the immersion blender to make it smooth and chop up all the bits of ground beef. 

Nice and smooth. 

It's got a crap ton of cheese in it. 

Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT skip the pickles for garnishing. Unless you just don't like pickles, but you'll be missing out for sure. 


Enjoy.










1 comment:

  1. Looks so delicious, I'll have to pin it for now and try to make it soon! Mouth watering!:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...