feeling a little easy and cheesy


Thanks to my friend Corey over at Family Fresh Meals for this impossibly easy and quick prep meal.  As soon as I saw it posted on her Facebook page, I knew I had to make it.

I modified the recipe a little, swapping out the jarred sauce and canned broth for some I had made and frozen previously.  I love making stock for this very reason!  Every time we eat chicken, I make stock, freeze it in ice cube trays, then store it in a big gallon bag. One ice cube is about one ounce.  Having it frozen in cubes makes it easier to thaw, easier to measure and keeps it from going bad.  Making stock is super easy, too. If you're having chicken, whether it be homemade roasted chicken or even a rotisserie chicken you picked up at the grocery store...make some crockpot stock.  Take all the bones and put them in the crockpot, put a few tablespoons of vinegar in there, fill the crock to the top with water. Then set on high and let it simmer for 12 or more hours...I've let it go for as long as 18-20 hours before. Add more water to accommodate for evaporation. Strain out the bones and let cool in the refrigerator. Once it's cool, there will be a layer of congealed fat on top, spoon that off. Then transfer to ice cube trays and freeze. Once frozen, put in a ziplock bag and label it with the date you made it. I find I use it rather quickly, but I'd suppose the stock would be good for about 6 months in the freezer.









I used Buittoni Herb Chicken Tortellini, Hunts Basil, Garlic and Oregano Diced Tomatoes, Kraft Seven Seas Viva Italian dressing and Sargento 6 Cheese Italian shredded cheese. I found that the cheese didn't melt like I wanted it to, so I added another 1/2 cup of cheese and stuck it back in the oven under the broiler for a couple minutes to make it bubbly and a little brown. I kept a watchful eye on it while it broiled so it wouldn't burn. Served with a salad and some garlic bread. Delicious!


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...